1250 Broadway, 27th Floor New York, NY 10001

HUBERTY HOUSE HALLOW?

Huberty House. Image Credit: LPC.

Individual landmark designed for politician and lawyer Peter Huberty by his son, Ulrich Huberty, architect of another potential individual added to Landmarks calendar. On October 24, 2017, Landmarks voted to designate the Peter P. and Rosa M. Huberty House an individual City landmark. The house stands 1019 Bushwick Avenue in Brooklyn’s Bushwick neighborhood. The free-standing Colonial Revival building was designed for Peter P. Huberty by his eldest son, Ulrich Huberty.

Peter Huberty, born in Prussia, worked as a teacher after immigrating to the United States, then as a clerk with the Brooklyn police department, before obtaining his law degree and opening his own practice. He was active in local politics and served as County Clerk. Ulrich Huberty, in his short career before his death at 33, was a proponent of the City’s beautiful movement in Brooklyn. His works include an addition to the individually landmarked Williamsburgh Savings Bank, the Prospect Park boathouse, and a hotel in the Borough Skyscraper Historic District.

The cubic-formed Huberty House features red Flemish bond brick facades with contrasting gray quoins, and stone and terra cotta window trim. Dormer project form the hipped roof, originally covered in slate, and it is topped with a widow’s walk. A curved portico with Ionic columns encloses the main entrance. Other decorative features include three-sided bay windows with Greek-key friezes, ironwork, a projecting cornice, and Palladian window with Gothic tracery.

A rear extension to the building was constructed in 1909 in a consistent style designed by Ulrich’s firm, Helmle & Huberty.

The building has been minimally altered, though its slate roof has been replaced with asphalt shingles, and some cornice dentils have been lost.

Council Member Antonio Reynoso supported designation, as did former Council Member Diana Reyna. The house’s owner, Virginia Giovinco, opposed landmarking.

Chair Srinivasan said the building possessed “unquestionable” architectural significance, and is representative of Huberty’s work as an architect. She noted that it occupied a prominent position along Bushwick Avenue. She said Landmarks would continue to work with the owner, and provide advice should she seek permits from the Commission. Srinivasan led a vote unanimous to designate the property.

At the same meeting, landmarks added the Dime Saving Bank of Williamsburgh, also designed by Ulrich Huberty, to its calendar to for consideration as a potential individual landmark. The neo-Classical bank building, at 209 Havemeyer Street in Brooklyn, was completed in 1908. The bank served the Brooklyn’s burgeoning immigrant population who worked on East River waterfront. The bank, clad in in Indian limestone, sits on a granite base and is fronted with four monumental Corinthian columns supporting pediment with incised signage decorated with modillions and dentils. No date was set for a hearing.

LPC: Peter P. and Rosa M. Huberty House, 1019 Bushwick Avenue, Brooklyn (LP-2542) (Oct. 25, 2017); The Dime Savings Bank of Williamsburgh, 209 Havemeyer Street, Brooklyn (LP-2598) (Oct. 24, 2017).

By:Jesse Denno (Jesse is a full-time staff writer at the Center for NYC Law).

Categories: