Today, as President Trump marks his 100th day in office, I want to update you on what my office has been doing to defend New Yorkers, our environment, our economy, and our constitutional rights.
As New York’s chief law enforcement officer, I am your lawyer. It’s my job to ensure that everyone plays by the same set of rules, no matter how rich or powerful. It’s also my job to stand up for the rule of law when the federal government takes steps that are illegal, unconstitutional, and antithetical to our fundamental values as Americans. The Trump administration has been keeping us busy.
Here are some of the highlights:
- I led a broad coalition of states and cities in calling on President-Elect Trump to continue the federal government’s defense of the Clean Power Plan—our country’s historic effort to put limits on carbon pollution from its largest source: fossil-fueled power plants.
- I published legal guidance for New York’s local governments and law enforcement agencies, providing a roadmap for lawfully protecting immigrant families and resisting the draconian immigration policies of the Trump administration.
- I filed suit against both of President Trump’s attempts to ban Muslims from the United States. Both of these unconstitutional, un-American, and unlawful executive orders have been blocked by the courts.
- As the Trump administration revoked protections for transgender students and ramped up its rhetoric against immigrants, I stood with New York State’s Education Commissioner to make clear that New York law protects all students from discrimination and harassment.
- I sued the Trump administration for violating federal law by delaying vital pollution-cutting, cost-saving energy efficiency standards. These standards would save consumers nearly $24 billion and eliminate millions of tons of the greenhouse gases causing climate change.
- And as anti-choice Republicans in Congress and across the country introduced legislation attacking women’s fundamental reproductive rights, I led a coalition of 16 Attorneys General in opposing an Ohio state law that would defund Planned Parenthood.
I’m proud of our record. When President Trump has failed to enforce our laws, we’ve stepped up to fill in the gap. When he’s adopted policies that hurt New Yorkers, I’ve fought back. And where Washington has failed to lead on the issues that matter, I’ve made clear that New York will provide a roadmap for the rest of the country.
I’ll keep fighting for you.